UPDATE: Cleveland Police confirm NFL asked for Kareem Hunt details in February; department conducting internal investigation

People are questioning how the league is handling this investigation.

UPDATE: Cleveland Police confirm NFL asked for Kareem Hunt details in February; department conducting internal investigation
Kareem Hunt

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - NFL player Kareem Hunt, originally from Ohio, was part of a violent confrontation in the hallway of the Metropolitan at the 9 hotel in Cleveland in February.

Here’s the latest:

Cleveland Police have launched an internal investigation after misreporting details regarding the violent incident that unfolded at The 9. Here’s the most up-to-date recap.

Posted by Cleveland 19 News on Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The incident happened downtown on February 10.

The Kansas City Chiefs say they questioned Hunt after that.

The NFL says it began investigating in February too.

Hunt, a former Willoughby South High School football player, did an interview with ESPN this past Sunday. He said the NFL did not reach out to him as part of its investigation.

Hunt also said he wasn't truthful with the Chiefs.

“I just didn't tell them about the video, the video part that came out. I didn't say anything,” Hunt said to ESPN.

The former Kansas City Chiefs running back apologized to the victim in that interview.

Nine months after the incident, on November 30, TMZ released that shocking video caught by hotel security cameras.

That same day, the NFL submitted a public records request to Cleveland police through its public records portal, reading:

“Requesting authentic, unedited, entire versions of all police reports, police records, photos, body camera footage, 911 calls, police radio calls, police radio reports, and surveillance/hotel video footage related to an incident involving multiple individuals occurring in the early morning hours of February 10, 2018.”

But the NFL says this wasn't their first request for information.

'We had multiple verbal conversations with Cleveland police officers and requested surveillance video immediately upon learning of the incident in February. In addition, NFL representatives also made requests for surveillance video to the hotel property. We also obtained and reviewed the material developed by the police, which included the written reports prepared by the officers who responded to the incident, and later the interviews that were recorded by bodycams and the recordings of the 911 calls.”
NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy

Cleveland 19 talked to Cleveland police spokesperson Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia. She said the NFL did not contact the communications office or the chief before November.

However, on Wednesday evening, police changed course and said the NFL did in fact reach out for any and all information directly after the incident.

Yet the report requested by the NFL in February didn’t go through the official records request process, according to police.

Police are now conducting an internal investigation to determine the cause of the mix-up, and the break in protocol.

Copyright 2018 WOIO. All rights reserved.